Adventurous activities undertaken without the appropriate training experience can be high-risk and dangerous, possibly resulting in injury, illness or death. It is essential for organizers to apply rigorous standards to ensure risks are managed. Which ever organisation you choose to use, ensure that it is compliant with a set of standards that are stringent. We conform to the British Standard BS8848 through self-declaration. An independent guide to BS8848 can be found here, or read on.
Reasons for BS 8848
BS 8848 is a relatively new Standard (2014) that specifies operational requirements for organisers of adventurous and educational activities abroad. It includes university and academic fieldwork, gap year experiences, adventure holidays, charity challenges and research expeditions. As a Standard, BS 8848 pulls together expertise and a framework for demonstrating good practice for the safe management of ventures outside the United Kingdom by applying principles of good management to ensure that risks are managed effectively.
Those wishing to claim conformance with BS 8848 can do so through self-declaration.
Adventurous or hazardous activities undertaken without appropriate training or experience can be high-risk, and possibly result in injury, illness or death to an individual or disruption to the operations of an organisation.
What is BS 8848?
BS 8848 draws together good practice into a British Standard for the safe management of overseas ventures. BS 8848 provides a specification for organizing and managing visits, fieldwork, expeditions, and adventurous activities, outside the United Kingdom.
BS 8848 covers the preparation and execution of adventurous activities abroad so that the level of risk included is reasonable and acceptable.
This British Standard sets out requirements for the operational management, including safety, of all ventures outside the United Kingdom. Its objective is to set out in clear, unambiguous language the actions and associated responsibilities essential to the provision of a risk-based safety management system for adventurous activities. In so doing it seeks to make available to those intending to provide such ventures a means of organising their activities in accordance with currently accepted good practice in a manner that makes it possible objectively to verify compliance
What are the requirements of BS 8848?
This British Standard specifies requirements for the provision of visits, fieldwork, expeditions and adventurous activities undertaken for educational, research, training or recreational purposes outside the United Kingdom.
It applies to ventures:
- where the hazards are such that without consideration by competent people the level of risk would be significant;
- at any location outside the United Kingdom including remote regions where climatic extremes, challenging terrain, health hazards or unfamiliar cultural experiences can be expected;
- organised for groups or individuals;
- that are planned, managed and evaluated from the UK by commercial companies, educational establishments, voluntary or charitable organisations and independent groups or individuals.
How does SUP Hire (Thailand) support the requirements of BS 8848?
Our policies, procedures and templates cover the following requirements of BS 8848 for lessons and journeys by SUP on the waterways of Thailand:-
- Purpose, planning, permission, finance and integrity of the venture
- Participants’ Identification, selection and information
- Venture leader, leadership team and support team
- Supervision and staffing ratios
- General/Direct & indirect supervision, Personal time and Down time
- Protection of participants under 18 years of age or a vulnerable adult allocation of roles and responsibilities
- Third-party providers
- Safety policy and risk analysis management system
- Legal Framework and contractual information
- Venture pre-booking information
- Training, induction and communication
- Joining instructions, during trip processes
- Travel, Accommodation, Environment and equipment
- Medical planning, Environment related illnesses, First Aid Kits
- Security, contingency planning
- Incident and emergency plan
When choosing SUP Hire (Thailand) for any activity, you can ensure the we maintain the highest standards of professionalism, safety and customer care.