SUP Hire Thailand and its subsidiary SUP Kanchanaburi is a provider of Stand Up Paddleboarding lessons, journeys and experiences to schools, families and individuals. We believe that child protection requires everyone to take responsibility and that every child matters. Therefore our policy applies to all SUP Hire Thailand employees, contractors and volunteers (see below).
We recognise that the care, protection and welfare of children is paramount and that all children have the right to be protected from all types of harm. We also recognise that we have a fundamental duty of care towards all children irrespective of age, disability, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual or gender identity or social status; all children have a right to protection from discrimination and abuse, where our programmes and operations facilitate contact with children, or have an impact on children. This includes a duty to protect children from harm or risk of harm as a result of:
- misconduct by our staff or partners
- poor practice
- the poor design or delivery of our programmes and operations.
We aim to achieve this through compliance with UK child protection laws and the relevant laws in Thailand, where we operate and by adhering to Article 19 of the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child (UNCRC) 1989. We define a child as anyone who has not reached their 18th birthday (UNCRC 1989) irrespective of the age of majority in the country where a child is, or in their home country. We are committed to:
- valuing, respecting and listening to children
- ensuring all necessary checks are made when recruiting staff
- maintaining strong child protection systems and procedures for staff
- training our staff and providing a common understanding of child protection issues to inform planning and practice through our Code of Conduct
- sharing information about child protection and good practice with children and parents/carers
- sharing information about any concerns with the relevant agencies and involving parents and children appropriately
- providing effective management for staff through clear processes, supervision, and support.
We will provide adequate and appropriate resources to implement this policy and will ensure it is communicated and understood. We will review this summary statement annually to reflect new legal and regulatory developments and ensure good practice.
SUP Hire Thailand and its subsidiaries is committed to safeguarding children taking part in its activities from physical, sexual or emotional harm, neglect or bullying.
SUP Hire Thailand takes all reasonable steps to ensure that, through appropriate procedures and training, children participating in activities organised by SUP Hire Thailand and its partners do so in a safe and enjoyable environment.
SUP Hire Thailand actively seeks to:
- Create a safe and welcoming environment, both on and off the water, where children can have fun and develop their skills and confidence.
- Run SUP Hire Thailand – organised training and events to the highest possible safety standards.
- Treat all children with respect and celebrate their achievements.
- Monitor its own safeguarding policies and procedures and those of its partners.
SUP Hire Thailand:
- Recognises that safeguarding children is the responsibility of everyone, not just those who work with children.
- Carefully recruits and selects all SUP Hire Thailand employees, contractors and volunteers in roles involving close contact with children and provides them with appropriate information or training.
- Responds swiftly and appropriately to all complaints and concerns about poor practice or suspected or actual child abuse.
- Regularly reviews safeguarding procedures and practices in the light of experience or to take account of legislative, social or technological changes.
- Communicates changes and shares good practice with training centres, clubs and class associations.
This policy will be reviewed by the SUP Hire Thailand Welfare Officer annually.
The SUP Hire Thailand Safeguarding and designated Welfare Officer, Troy Wells should be notified of all relevant concerns, allegations or complaints.
This is an abridged version of our policy, the full version of which may be viewed upon request at our office in Kanchanaburi.